"I visited your website and was astounded at the visionary quality, the subtlety that is combined with a graphic boldness. It is not too much to say I love your work….it reaches me at a level that transcends everyday speech, which is exactly how I feel about the ceremonies that I have participated in when in Oklahoma."
Dr. Laurie Eldridge, Cherokee
Dr. Laurie Eldridge, Cherokee
“To an amazing extent, Steve Willis, is able to meld the traditional mind-set of Native American culture with the concerns of modern, abstract formalism. His colorful installations often surprise and challenge our visual expectations, and are experienced as avant-garde, which reach beyond pure form into the mystery and spirituality often associated with Native American objects and architecture. Steve Willis is an artist working boldly in the idiom of contemporary art. His installations, sculptures and prints are engaging at many levels and for a multitude of reasons.”
Professor Tom Parker, Drury University
Professor Tom Parker, Drury University
My artwork addresses spiritual portals and sacred spaces based on personal experiences with Spiritual Ceremonies. The images capture the complexity of spiritual knowledge in a simple and direct manner. The colors, shapes, and symbols are significant and are used in the artwork to develop a visual vocabulary between people. The four colors: blue, red, black, and white represent the Four Directions and the corresponding Gateway Guardians. Additionally, the close relationship of red and blue, and black and white are very important: blue represents divinity, red represents prayer, black represents emotion, and white represents intellect. When the four directions converge, represented by Purple/Indigo, there is a spiritual conversation between divinity and humanity.
Peer-reviewed and Invitational Exhibitions and Presentations
- 2015 - 2014 - Exhibitor – Tangled Exhibitions. Traveling exhibition. InSEA affiliated group. Invitational.
- 2015 – Visiting Artist- Hocq’reila. The University of Minnesota - Duluth. March 3.
- 2014 - Exhibitor - The United States Society for Education through Art international exhibition. NAEA Conference, San Diego, CA. March.
- 2014 - Visiting Artist – Hocq’reila. The Art Museum at the University of Kentucky. September 11.
- 2013 - Exhibitor – Hocq’reila. Institute of African Studies Museum. University of Nigeria—Nsukka November 27- December 6.
- 2013 - Visiting Artist – Hocq’reila. Fine and Applied Art Department. University of Nigeria at Nsukka, Nigeria. December 4.
- 2013 - Visiting Artist – Hocq’reila. Institute for African Studies. University of Nigeria at Nsukka, Nigeria. November 27.
- 2013 - Exhibitor - The United States Society for Education through Art international exhibition. Ft. Worth, TX. March.
- 2012 - Exhibitor – Art Educator as Artist: An Invitational. Hammonds Regional Arts Center, Hammonds, LA. Denise Tullier-Holly, Curator. August 10-24.
- 2012 - Visiting Artist - Hocq’reila images: Creating in the Spirit. Utah Valley University. January 24-26.
- 2012 - Exhibitor - The United States Society for Education through Art international exhibition in New York City. March.
- 2012 - Exhibitor - Universidad Autónoma de Madrid. Coordinator: Ángeles Saura, Artista visual, Doctora en BBAA Departamento Enseñanza Artística. Madrid, Spain. 1-21 December.
- 2012 - Exhibitor - Associação de Professores de Expressão e Comunicação Visual (APECV) -. Oporto, Portugal. Coordinator: Teresa Eca-Torres. Gallery Director: Emila Lopez. 13 October – 10 November.
- 2011 - Visiting Artist - Current Hocq’reila Images. University of Minnesota - Duluth. September 28. [Skype]
- 2011 - Exhibitor - Sky Gallery, Springfield. MO.
- 2010 - Exhibitor - Obelisk Home. Springfield, MO. Invitational. March 1- April 28, 2010.
- 2010 - Exhibitor - Album artwork for Flicker CD. Sarah Mac Band. Far from fifteen publishing ASCAP. Produced by David Murphy @ winterstone sound, Tallahassee, FL. Mastered by Tom Lewis, Athens, GA.
- 2010 - Visiting Artist - Native American Culture. The Boys and Girls Club, Henderson Unit. Springfield, MO. November 23.
- 2010 - Visiting Artist - Spirituality in form. South Dakota State University. Brookings, SD. October 19. [Skype].
- 2010 - Visiting Artist - Images, symbols and spirituality. Missouri State University. October 19.
- 2009 - Exhibiting Artist – Sky Gallery, Springfield. MO. October 15, 2009 – January.
- 2007 - Exhibitor - Invitational Exhibition: Richmond Art Center, The Loomis Chaffee School, Windsor, CT.
- 2007 - Visiting Artist, exhibition and presentation: The Loomis Chaffee School, Windsor, Connecticut.
- 2007 - Exhibitor - Art Educator as Artist: An Invitational. Hammonds Regional Art Center, Hammonds, LA. Denise Tullier-Holly, Curator.
- 2003 - Exhibitor - Vue Dieu Portfolio, organized and curated (Ken Daley & Ron McGlamory). Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA. Invitational Group Exhibition. Serigraph edition.
- 2002 - Exhibitor - GALEX 35 National Exhibition, Galesburg, IL. Peer-reviewed
- 2002 - Visiting Artist Processes in Serigraphy. Drury University. Springfield, MO.
- 2002 - Exhibitor - Sacred Spaces. Cox Gallery. Drury University, Springfield, MO. Invitational Single Exhibition, installations and serigraphs.
- 2000 - Exhibitor - Vue Dieu Portfolio, organized and curated (Ken Daley & Ron McGlamory) for Print Gumbo, the thirtieth Southern Graphics Council Conference in New Orleans. Invitational. Serigraph edition.
- 1998 - Exhibitor - The Ogelsby Gallery, Tallahassee, FL.
- 1996 - Exhibitor - The Ormond Memorial Museum, Ormond Beach, FL.
- 1995 - Exhibitor - Art in Public Places, Riverside, Palm Beach Gardens, FL.
- 1995 - Exhibitor - The Armory Art Center, West Palm Beach, FL.
- 1994 - Exhibitor - The Pasco Fine Arts Center, Holiday, FL.
- 1994 - Exhibitor - The Cornell Museum, Delray Beach, FL.
- 1994 - Exhibitor - Circlework Visions, Ltd., New York, NY.
- 1993 - Exhibitor - Patrician Gallery, West Palm Beach, FL.
- 1993 - Exhibitor - Bacardi Gallery, Miami, FL.
- 1993 - Exhibitor - Palm Beach Community College, Lake Worth, FL.
- 1992 - Exhibitor - London Gallery, London, England.
- 1992 - Exhibitor - FAXART, Gallery 400, University of Illinois at Chicago, IL.
- 1992 - Exhibitor - Northwood Institute, West Palm Beach, FL.
- 1992 - Exhibitor - Art in Public Places, 301 Building, West Palm Beach, FL.
- 1992 - Exhibitor - Salon des Refuses, Fort Lauderdale, FL.
- 1991 - Exhibitor - The Now Gallery, New York, NY.
- 1991 - Exhibitor - Townhall, Miyazu, Japan.
- 1990 - Exhibitor - Toni Jones, Inc., Houston, Texas.
Exhibitions Prior to 1990:
- Galerie Am Kubelmarkt, Bruchsal, West Germany.
- Artifacts Art Salon, Miami Beach, FL.
- The Palmetto Gallery, Boca Raton, FL.
- Hobe Sound Gallery, Hobe Sound, FL.
- Broward Art Guild, Fort Lauderdale, FL.
- Virginia Saunders Gallery, Delray Beach, FL.
- Diazits, Boca Raton, FL.
- Southwinds Art Gallery, Delray Beach, FL.
- Gallery 100, Boca Raton, FL.
- Virginia Tatual, Jenson Beach, FL.
- The Baronese Gallery, Lake Worth, FL.